Welcome to Sunthing Special, your source for fun, funky, colorful works of art!
I'm an Akron, Ohio-based artist who is known for my acrylic painting on canvas, photography, and works with recycled objects -- primarily bright suns and "Akron" images.
- Five of my sun images have been shown on CBS Sunday Morning a total of NINE times!
- I've been featured on the local news show "Fox 8 New Day Cleveland". I and/or my work has been included in stories in the (Akron) Beacon Journal, Akron's West Side Leader, Akronist, University of Akron's Buchtelite, Crain's Cleveland Business, Beachwood Buzz, Canton Repository's Ticket, Kent Record-Courier The Weekender and more
- The international GG9 committee commissioned me to paint a soap box derby car which it used as a centerpiece in the opening ceremonies for the games in August 2014.
- I have participated in more than 50 exhibits and shows.
- I had a studio in Summit Artspace for five years (December 2010-2015).
- My work is in homes and offices around the country.
Here's a short (2 minute) interview with me from Jack Stern of the University of Akron's ZTV
Current events have inspired the latest works:
"The Day His Laughter Died (11/8/16)" "The Day Her Laughter Died (11/8/16)"
"Court Jester" "Desperately Seeking ..."
"Let Them In" "Crossroads"
"Dark Days" "Vigilance"
"... and she wept" "Fear Can Turn Your Heart Black"
"Up in Smoke" "Rising Fury"
"Not on my Watch" "Unmasked (Deception)"
"If I Could Turn Back Time" "Search for Equality"
"Soar, Then Shine" "Trying to Find the Light"
"Embrace Diversity" "World on Fire"
Also NEW this year!
I didn't paint for about six months last year, in which time I was creating these fun and funky knitted bags ...
Each bag is the result of a 10-step process. Each bag is also very special because it contains
one or more items that have been given to me through the years -- discarded
fabric samples from interior decorators; buttons from my grandmother's
collection; threads and yarns from other artists. All these items have gained a
new life in these unique bags. Please follow me on Facebook to see where these bags will be for sale, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CBS Sunday Morning has aired five of my sun images a total of nine times!
For five years I had a studio at Summit Artspace. It was my "Happy Place". To see some of the happy people who have visited my studio, please click here.
For the most current information about Sunthing Special, please visit my Facebook page. Call or text me at 330-208-5693.